Wednesday 31 October 2012

Curvy and Successful: Khandie Khisses

This weeks Curvy and Successful is with beautiful and talented Queen of Burlesque Khandie Khisses.

1. Tell us about you and what your business does?
I run a few businesses. I run my 'Khandie Khisses' burlesque persona of which I use my reputation to run Hidden Heart burlesque school and The Velvet Curtain blog and vintage shop. 
 
2. Have you always wanted to run your own business?
I have to say that whilst I knew that getting into burlesque meant that I would have to cultivate my persona in order to progress, I did not expect to be running other businesses in conjunction with it. Having one business is fabulous but three is just...well wow.
 
3. Where did the idea for your business come from?
Performing burlesque for so long and all over the world, teaching it was the next logical step. Within burlesque, the vintage scene is closely linked and so when I started buying vintage clothing for myself people asked where I got it, thus I ended up selling it. I knew I didnt want to simply bulk buy vintage. I have made a conscious decision to hand select each item and focus more on the plus size vintage. Plus size vintage seems like gold dust so I like the idea of hunting it down...
 
 4. What were you doing before starting up?
Performing. Well I worked in the RAF until I left for a change in career. I ended up working in the city in a rather soul-less office. My day was measured in the tip tap of keys on my computer. Yawn.
 
5. What advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?
RESEARCH! Always check you are doing it better than the others, and always strive to be the best. Dont offer something you can find better elsewhere. Aim for the world, not just the town.
 
6. Where do you want to be in five years' time?
My own studio with a photographic studio on the side and writing for my own column with a brick n mortar store instead of an internet one. Not much then. Oh and world number 1 at something. ha!

Hidden Heart Academy
@HHBurlesque

The Velvet Curtain
@Velvet_Curtain1

Khandie Khisses
@KhandieKhisses

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you think?